Friday, July 24, 2020

Interesting Times

  Well.
  Well. Life doesn’t feel much like a fairytale recently, does it? Maybe more like the apocalyptic preface in a post-apocalyptic novel, one of the really dreary sci-do ones. Or perhaps it is like a fairytale, but we’re used to knowing the happy ending and focusing on the Happily Ever After, rather than the murky, scary, middle. The middle of any story is the tough part, when all the bad things happen, so that the climax and resolution have something to address and fix. There’s a reason the Chinese proverb “May you live in interesting times” is considered a curse.
  And yet, these past few weeks months I’ve grown closer to friends as we chat over videos on the Marco Polo app, I’ve spent more time back in prayer (I’ve been praying the psalms, thanks to my Dad for a great Christmas gift!), and I’m all set to do a lot of baking with my toddler while the baby watches from her bumbo seat. I want to foster community and focus on hygge even while we do our social distancing. I am so proud to be part of the healthcare community - I have some wonderful coworkers that make going to work feel less like a chore to dread, and help me stay positive.
  A lot has happened since my last post almost two years ago to derail my creative endeavors. I suffered another miscarriage, then carried my next pregnancy to term and had a beautiful daughter. Our whole little family dotes on her, and she is a joyful little love full of smiles and happy noises. So while our lives are always interesting and full of individual struggles, I’m hoping that these “interesting times” we are experiencing as a global community will point us back to Christ, to trusting him, to enjoying simple pleasures and time spent with family, and of course, that when we emerge on the other side of this story, that we all find a happy ending to this chapter of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment